Do I still need a Green Card to take my car to Europe?

As of the 2nd August 2021, UK drivers will no longer need to take an insurance ‘green card’ with them when taking their vehicles to EU countries including Ireland, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia, and Switzerland.

However, you may need to carry a green card to drive in other countries, including:








To obtain a Green Card call our customer services team on 01803 659113.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is an internationally recognised document that shows foreign police that you hold a valid insurance policy for your vehicle.

UK registered vehicles travelling within the EU are now covered by the EU’s Motor Insurance Directive (MID). This allows them to travel freely between other EU countries without requiring supplementary insurance documentation. This is a change back following the implementation of Green Cards after Brexit.

It is important to note that some countries may still require a Green Card for Caravans. Although the change has come into effect already to prevent delays, the MIB recommends that anyone travelling to the EU still take a Green Card with them over the next few months whilst the full policy change takes place across the member countries.

What do I need when taking my vehicle abroad?

To avoid any issues when travelling, the advice to drivers is to continue to take a green card until 2nd September 2021. 

Make sure you take your current insurance certificate, it would also be worthwhile taking their
driving licence, V5C logbook and display a GB sticker on their vehicle.

To obtain a green card, please call 01803 659113 at least 28 days before you are due to travel. An adjustment fee will be payable.